Q: How do I know when my lot has been assumed by the City?

A: I get this question a lot as Alton Village is a new and upcoming community.  You may find out if you received a letter from the City to inform residents that your area had been assumed.

Once an area has been assumed and everything has been finalized, the City will release all contractors hold backs and deposits.  Therefore, the developers would then release the grading deposits to the residents if there was a deposit made.  It is up to the resident to contact the developer directly to initiate the return of the deposit (if one was made).

The quickest way to know this would be to check your purchase agreement for your home and/or call the developer directly and they would be able to tell you fairly quickly.

Q: Recently a builder commenced their construction with the remaining vacant lots. Given the recent and well welcomed warmer weather, the street is filled with mud and particularly towards the end. Can you please advise if the city or the builder is responsible for cleaning the street on a regular basis.

 A: As a general rule, active construction sites are required to be swept and scraped at the end of each working day and swept and flushed at the end of Friday, weather permitting.  Flushing will not be undertaken if there is potential for freezing.  If there are any issues you can contact staff,  Subdivision Inspector to investigate and request the necessary action.

Q: The past 2 years I had an increased presence of rabbits. They have destroyed 2 of my trees so far. Please help me get this problem taking care of.

A: I recognize you are in a dilemma and I myself have experienced the challenges at my home with rabbits, skunks and raccoons.  Unfortunately, the City of Burlington does not regulate problems on private property.  In my case, I hired a company to trap and remove the animals.  Our Animal Control will only respond to situations where there are sick or injured animals.   There are private wildlife companies that will wildlife proof someone’s home but there is a cost involved to the home owner.   There are also helpful tips online for people to do it themselves.

I have attached links to our Animal Control website and our animal control bylaw for more information.  http://www.burlington.ca/en/services-for-you/Animal-Control.asp and http://www.burlington.ca/uploads/91/635575154679735821.pdf

Q: Who do I contact if I see coyotes?

A: If you are approached by a coyote you can do the following:

Stop. Pick up small children and pets
Stand still
Make yourself appear larger by waving your hands in the air
Make noise by shouting “GO AWAY,” clapping your hands or blowing a whistle
Use hazing techniques, such as popping open an umbrella, shaking your keys or throwing an object near the coyote
Slowly back away. Never run from, or turn your back on, a coyote
Share your experience by reporting the coyote sighting to www.burlington.ca/coyote
If you feel you are in danger, call 911.

“Coyotes are very timid animals that prefer to avoid humans but they may put on warning displays if they perceive a threat to their pups or den site,” said Lake. “For this reason, I would caution dog owners to keep their dogs on leash at all times.”

To report a coyote sighting, visit www.burlington.ca/coyote or call 905-335-3030. The City of Burlington has posted signs in parks and along trails where coyotes are known to frequent. More signs will be installed as needed.

For more information about living with coyotes, visit www.burlington.ca/wildlife or the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Q. How do I know if my street has been reviewed for traffic calming?

A: Before you submit your traffic calming request, please review the link to the Traffic Calming Request List. The city receives many traffic calming requests each year and your street may already be on the list of streets for review.

Next steps:

Pre-screening – once a traffic calming request form has been submitted, city staff will review the street in the question against the pre-screening criteria. If the street meets the criteria then the request will move forward to the technical warrant stage.

Technical Warrant – City staff will conduct traffic studies to determine if traffic calming measures would be suitable on the street in question. When considering the installation of traffic calming measures, the city must balance the needs of residents with the needs of emergency services, transit, road maintenance and others.

Resident contact – If the resulting data supports the installation of traffic calming measures, staff will develop a traffic calming plan. Residents within the study area will be invited to an open house meeting to review the plan.

Approval – staff will review and address any concerns raised at the open house and prepare the necessary report for approval.

For more information about traffic calming measures, please call 905-335-7671 or email: traffic@burlington.ca.

Q. How do I report poor driving that I see in my neighbourhood?

A: This is a frequent question and concern that residents communicate to me and I do refer those emails to the police however after a recent visit with Halton Regional Police Services they informed me about a quick and convenient way for residents to report poor driving they witness and you can do it anonymously online.

The program is called Road Watch.  This is a community driven program encouraging anonymous reporting of incidents involving dangerous and/or aggressive driving, NOT motor vehicle collisions. A dangerous or aggressive driver should never be approached or confronted by a citizen. Citizens are encouraged to document specific details of ROAD WATCH incidents using the ROAD WATCH ONLINE report. These reports will be viewed by a police officer and if deemed appropriate, a letter may be sent to the registered vehicle owner encouraging all who drive their vehicle to do so in a safe and responsible manner.

Complainants always remain anonymous unless they choose to submit a detailed police report which could result with charges being laid. Such a report may also require the complainant to attend court.

Please visit www.hrps.on.ca, go to “File a Report” tab and under that you will see a section called “Poor driving: ROADWATCH to file a citizen report on poor driving practices witnessed on Halton’s roadways.”  From there it will ask you a series of questions and you can submit the form.